Monday, August 27, 2007

A fifth to the commonwealth, the rest to the track!

I always thought it was interesting that baseball commentators, as well as players, constantly refer to a pitcher as having "good stuff." Now, that may not seem like proper grammar, but I think it exemplifies what makes baseball, a sport that lasts 3 and a half hours with the ball in play for an average of 12 minutes, fun to watch and keep up on: it's the elusiveness of what makes a player so great. That's why steroids suck, because they give an answer. A player either has it or he doesn't. On a given night, a player can be off or on...

And the pitcher's "stuff" can be anything from his flawless mechanics to his delivery to his mental\emotional toughness to his lucky jock. The season is so goddam long that it tests the endurance of its players more than a sport like football (specifically, the NFL, I dig NCAA) where cocky-ass jocks run out on a field once a week and give each other concussions, then go back and pump iron for a week, practice practice practice, then do it again. In baseball, the only time you have to practice is before a game since for the next three nights you're playing one team, then you're travelling across the country, and playing another team.

Every sport is hard, but baseball is hard without a lot of strategy and with a high-sense of enigma and intangibility. I can dig it.

--

I'm supposed to be hearing back from Humboldt in a few days\weeks as to whether or not I made their transfer cut. Pray for me. This is something we need.

--

I've been working out, and so maybe I'll be sexy one day and not just "cute after two weeks of knowing him."

--

A lot of the blogs where it seems like I'm talking to someone, referring to a "you," are really conversations with myself. I'm an asshole, I will be my own demise. BUT! I believe in you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

baseball is pure skill, one off the hardest of sports to master, and based on failure. football is the second toughest and most demanding sport of the major four sports; ousted only by soccer, followed by basketball, then baseball, then nascar as a wildcard to the major sports column.